There are 3 ways I have heard “enough” used in my life that has changed my thoughts and actions.
- When I was a child, my 3 sisters and I would often push my dad to the limit, and he would say in a sharp and firm tone, “Enough is enough”. We would immediately stop what we were doing or whining about. We knew he meant business.
- My friend Barbara and I were on a retreat, and the title of the speaker’s lecture was called “Practicing Enoughness.” She asked us, “Do you have enough clothes? Enough shoes, enough food, enough stuff? Do you really need it? She encouraged us to practice enoughness in all areas of life.
- In Isaiah 1, God says “I have had more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fatted animals…” In other words, stop being hypocrites.
“Enough is Enough”
Remember these words and teach them to your children
* Teach them to be grateful and thankful for all food at all times.
* Teach them to take and eat just enough food to nourish their bodies.
* Teach them that when someone says “enough is enough”, to stop.
* Teach them to remember what God says in the Bible about “enough”.
* Teach them to eat what they are given. Mary M Funk says, “Perhaps as a Christian I must surrender my willfullness in order to enter into a willingness to eat what is given”.