Today is Tuesday, May 27th (My deceased mother Janice’s birthday)
The Topic or Question of the Day:
Nurture and Protect
Nurturing and protection is what mothers do for their children. My mother was one of the best. I had 3 sisters and we were very well cared for. We also had a big garden in our back yard that my dad mostly tended and I remember eating sweet peas in the pod, warmed by the sun that were better than candy. I compare the importance for protecting and nurturing our bodies with the way we protect and cultivate our plants.
We protect our plants by:
- Building fences and walls to protect from animals
- Using insecticides to prevent infection
- Using plant food to nourish soil
- Planting flowers, mint, use gum? To keep certain insects away
We protect our bodies by:
- Feeding proper food
- Drinking water, hydration
- Using sunscreen
- Brushing and flossing our teeth
- Taking care of our back while lifting something
- Building “fences and walls” to protect us from indulgence
However: We can do everything we believe is “right” and still experience a storm that rips through our gardens or a strange disease that overtakes our produce just like in life. There is often not a concrete reason for cancer and other devastating diseases. My own father ate what I would consider healthy, never smoked or abused alcohol, stayed approximately the same weight his whole life, and was a man of integrity. He contracted lung cancer and died in 6 weeks.
This doesn’t mean we become fatalists and give up on trying to tend our bodies, it just means we are not in control of everything. We control the things we can.
- What we eat
- What we drink
- The attitude in which we eat and drink (the why).
Quote or Tip of the Day:
Nurture your body, and protect all your thoughts
Don’t be a fatalist, and do what you ought
Take Action Today:
Keep a food and drink log today (I do this periodically)
Keep track of why you ate what you ate. Hungry, bored, sluggish, craved?